PK-3 Electrode Polishing kit (cat#013223)The purpose of the polish is to remove redox reaction products accumulated on the working electrode surface. The polishing maintains a good condition of working electrode for CV/Flow cell.
|With repeated electrochemical redox reaction experiments, the adhesion of the experimental products on to the electrode surface, and the electron transfer rate is attenuated gradually. If the electron transfer speed becomes slow, the difference between peak potentials for oxidation and reduction will broaden.||Refreshing the electrode surface by polishing, the electron transfer rate will increase again. Consequently, the peak potential difference becomes narrow and returns to an ideal CV.
Electrode: Glassy carbon electrode
|013223||PK-3 Electrode Polishing kit|
|012620||0.05 µm polishing alumina (20 ml)|
|012621||1 µm polishing diamond (10 ml)|
|-||Alumina polishing pad (10 pcs)|
|-||Diamond polishing pad (10 pcs)|
|013222||Replacement glass plate for PK-3 (1 pc)|
|Polishing pad for acquisition separately|
|012600||Alumina polishing pad (20 pcs)|
|012601||Diamond polishing pad (20 pcs)|
How to polish the Working electrodes' surface with PK-3
- Prepare the glass plate, and put a few drops of polishing diamond on a wetted diamond polishing pad.
- Hold the CV electrode at right angle to the pad, and polish in a circular motion.
- Replace the diamond pad to an alumina polishing pad, put a few drops of polishing alumina, and polish the electrode to be mirror surface. Rinse the electrode surface with distilled water, and finish by air drying.
Polishing of PFCE Electrode & Pyrolytic Graphite Electrode
For the electrodes listed below,
|002252||Pyrolytic Graphite Electrode (Basal Plane)||PEEK||6 mm||3 mm|
|002253||Pyrolytic Graphite Electrode (Edge Plane)||PEEK||6 mm||3 mm|
|002408||PFCE 3 Carbon electrode||PEEK||6 mm||3 mm|
|002409||PFCE 1 Carbon electrode||PEEK||6 mm||1 mm|
|011854||SPFCE Carbon electrode||PEEK||3 mm||1 mm|
- Put a few drops of distilled water on the emery paper, and polish for 10 seconds. If necessary increase the polishing time.
- Then rinse the electrode with distilled water.
- After rinse, ultrasonic cleaning for 10 seconds (in the case of 65 W - 100 W ultrasonic cleaner).
Or polishing the electrode using alumina pad with a few drops of distilled water for about 10 seconds.
- Then rinse the electrode again with a distilled water.
- Dry the electrode and it is ready for the measurement.
For the PGBE electrode (Cat. No. 002252), because of the material characteristics, it is difficult to keep the perfect basal surface. For the precise PGBE basal surface treatment evaluation, you can have the publications below as a reference.
J. Phys. Chem.: Vol. 98 (1994), p. 5314; Vol. 96 (1992), p. 3124
Anal. Chem.: Vol. 64 (1992), p. 2518; Vol. 61 (1989), p. 1637; Vol. 69(1997), p. 4680
The assessment of the basal and edge surface is done by measuring the Raman spectra. This method is reported in the last two publications mentioned above.
Do not polish with a finer grade of emery paper ( #6000 etc.). PFCE electrode does not need mirror finishing like a GC electrode.