Interdigitated Array (IDA) electrode is an electrode developed for electrochemical measurements to be performed in a very small quantity of the sample. IDA electrode could be applied for the detection and reaction analysis of the compounds in a small quantity of the sample. IDA electrode is a microelectrode pattern fabricated by using the lithography technology. The Electrodes are composed of 65 pairs. In each one of the pair has a function of the oxidation and reduction electrodes.
- Redox cycle
・Very small sample quantity for EC measurement
・Small and integrated
・Electrochemical measurement electrode
・Bio-sensor and chemical sensor electrode
・Chemically modified electrode
・Chemical reaction parameter monitoring electrode
CV measurement using Interdigitated Array Electrodes
IDA Electrode is a pair of band electrode combined and meshes with each other as a generator electrode and collector electrode, therefore it is possible to make an electrochemical redox cycle upon the electrode as showed in figure.
By occurring the redox cycle on electrode increasing electrolysis current to raise measurement sensitivity. In experiment using common electrodes to analyze a small quantity of sample solution, the sample will consumed and exhausted due to electrolysis. However using this Interdigitated array electrode, the oxidation-reduction reaction occur repeatedly so the sample solution will not exhausted.
The voltammograms of ferrocene samples ((a),(c): 10 µL , (b),(d): 0.2 µL) using IDA electrode ((a),(b): Dual mode; (c),(d): Single Mode) are shown below. As they indicate, measuring mode makes obvious difference on their responses. Dual mode (a),(b) reinforce reduction current at collector electrodes with increase of oxidation current at generator electrodes, in addition, the current value is not affected by the sample volume, only depends on the concentration of the sample. At the measurement (d), comparing with (ｃ), the current response is scarcely obtained, because the sample was consumed during the experiment, indicating that electrode response current of single mode is greatly dependent on the amount of sample solution.
|adhesive layer - passivation membrane thickness|
|Ti||approximately 10 nm
（∗only for Au and Pt）
|passivation membrane||about 1 μm|
IDA electrode expanded diagram
|Catalog No.||Description||Width (µm)||Interval (µm)||Length (mm)||Number of feet (pairs)||Film thickness|
|012125||IDA electrode (Au)||10||5||2||65||90 nm∗|
|012126||IDA electrode (Pt)||10||5||2||65||90 nm∗|
|012127||IDA electrode (Carbon)||10||5||2||65||1.2 +/- 0.1 µm|
|012128||IDA electrode (ITO)||10||5||2||65||100 +/- 20 nm|
|012129||IDA electrode (Au)||3||3||2||65||90 nm∗|
|012130||IDA electrode (Pt)||3||3||2||65||90 nm∗|
|012257||IDA electrode (Au)||2||2||2||65||90 nm∗|
|012258||IDA electrode (Pt)||2||2||2||65||90 nm∗|
|w/o passivation membrane|
|012259||IDA electrode (Au) without passivation membrane||10||5||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|012262||IDA electrode (Pt) without passivation membrane||10||5||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|012266||IDA electrode (Carbon) without passivation membrane||10||5||2.5||65||1.2 +/- 0.1 µm|
|012265||IDA electrode (ITO) without passivation membrane||10||5||2.5||65||100 +/- 20 nm|
|012260||IDA electrode (Au) without passivation membrane||3||3||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|012263||IDA electrode (Pt) without passivation membrane||3||3||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|012261||IDA electrode (Au) without passivation membrane||2||2||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|012264||IDA electrode (Pt) without passivation membrane||2||2||2.5||65||90 nm∗|
|011066||Cable kit for IDA electrode|
|011464||Ag/AgCl Ink for reference electrode (2.0 mL)|
∗ For Au and Pt, the thickness of the titanium adhesive layer is about 10 nm, resulting in a total thickness of 100 nm.
The handling of until measurement
For the high-sensitivity detection by redox cycle using IDA electrode, dual potentiostat is required.
In addition, CS-3A Cell stand to reduce the noise, and the coating of the reference electrode portion to have the stable reference potential, applying such as silver-silver chloride ink, are recommended.
Handling precautions of IDA electrode
The IDA electrode is a very sensitive product. Here, some advice for the preservation and handling of IDA electrode will be described.
Attention for receiving the product
After receiving the product, it is recommended to test the insulation between the working electrodes using a tester.
Attention for opening the package
- When you will take out the electrode from the package, catch with the fingers at the edge of the glass substrate or pinch the glass plate carefully with tweezers. Glass substrate could break easily, so keep away from excessive force and strain.
- Do not touch the pattern area of the electrode directly. If you touch the pattern area, it could be peeled or break out.
Attention for cleaning before use
- Do not clean in ultrasonic cleaner.
- Do not clean the electrode with strong acid or base solution.
- Do not clean in ozone cleaner.
- Do not scratch the electrode surface to avoid the pattern area conductivity break down.
- If you want to clean the electrode with organic solvent, only rinse with acetone or ethanol. Do not immerse the electrode in an organic solvent for long time to avoid peeling of the electrode pattern and passivation membrane.
Attention in measurement
- The electrode can not be used in high and low temperature.
- Do not use the electrode in strong acid or base solution.
- Do not apply excessive oxidation or reduction potential.
- Physical or chemical modification of the electrode will be for your own responsibility. We do not guarantee the electrode characteristics after modification.
- This electrode is assumed as disposable. Reuse of the electrode is not recommended.
Attention in storage
If long-term storage, put the electrode in the case. Store the case in clean space such as desiccator, away from heat and moisture.
Any defects in the appearance (ex: pinhole on lead area, burr of glass) without any influence to the measurement, are not covered under warranty.