2. Instrument setup
Inspection of shipment:
After unpacking the instrument carefully, we recommend to check the package contents and inspect for breakage. In the table lists the package contents of the RRDE-3A. This list is subject to change the parts. It is strongly recommended to refer to the packing slip with your instrument. Assemblies of these various parts will be outlined in the following chapters. The shipping box and packing materials retain until you have fully tested the unit to be certain that no damage was incurred during shipping. If a shortage exists, you should contact with local distributor or ALS Customer Service and describe the shortage. A replacement part will be sent immediately subject to stock availability.
|013606||RRDE-3A Rotating Ring Disk Electrode Apparatus Ver.2.0||1|
|(013580)||Sample vial for alkaline solution (100mL)||1|
|012064||Spin coating adapter||1|
|012065||Male connector for gas purge (PP)||1|
|013392||TYGON tubing, OD1/4 x ID1/8||1|
|013271||RRDE-3A Teflon cap V.2||1|
|012642||RRDE-3A Silicon sheet 100x180mm||1|
|012975||O-ring for RRDE-3A Bearing assembly||3|
|012074||CB-ES Remote cable||1|
|012961||Platinum counter electrode 23cm||1|
- Provide a surge-free power source. Other laboratory equipment such as ovens, vortex mixers, centrifuges, and large motors may cause spikes in the power supply.
- Make sure that all components of the system share the same ground circuit. It is the best way to accomplish by plugging all the components into a multi-outlet power strip. Plugging the components into independent
outlets can produce ground loops, which occur baseline noise.
- Locate the RRDE-3A on a stable bench without vibration.
- Select a room where temperature remains stable throughout the day. Avoid installing the RRDE-3A near window air ducts, ovens, and refrigerators. A water-jacketed cell may be required for very precise work.
- Place the RRDE-3A away from any busy and congested areas. Remote and isolated areas are the best for high-sensitivity work.
- Avoid very dry and carpeted areas. Static electricity affects instrument performance. Antistatic floormats and benchmats are useful if spiking caused by static charge is a problem.
- Avoid areas where radio-frequency interference occurs. Beeper-type pager causes a problem.
When RRDE-3A power is ON, do not touch motor shaft and stop it. RRDE-3A is stopped due to its safety. If it does not work, inside fuse in the circuit board is blown out.
The RRDE-3A is adopted to either 100 or 220 V (50-60 Hz) power supply. As power switching regulator has been setting in the instrument, switching of the electricity is automatically controlled.
Power cord connection:
Push the socketed end of the power cord into the port located in the back-panel (See Fig. 2-1). After making this connection, make certain the power ON/OFF switch is in the certain position. This switch is labeled with a “O” and “|”. When in “O”position, the power is OFF and when in “|”, the power is ON.
The fuse is located on the power cord connector. Pull fuse holder, and check whether it works or not. If it does not work, it should be replaced with new one. (Fig. 2-2)
The RRDE-3A gas purge and rotator speed are controlled by the the potentiostats with TTL control function. The control line is 2 pin cable between the remote terminal on the rear of the RRDE-3A and the cell control on the rear panel of the potentiostat.
The electrode leads are connected to the potentiostat on the end of the cell lead cable into the Electrodes female connector on the rear panel of the potentiostat.
Back panel controls and connections :
- Remote terminal
- Power ON/OFF switch.
- Fuse holder.
- Power cord. Be sure that the power cord is connected to a grounded circuit.
- Ground terminal.
- Gas inlet connector for cell purging attached to the tubes providing connection to external gas source.
NOTE: 5 psi maximum.
Push the socketed end of the power cord into the port located in the RRDE-3 back panel. Before making this connection, always make sure that the power ON/OFF switch is in the "OFF" position. This switch is labeled with a "O" and "|" . When "O" is pushed, the power is "OFF" and when "|" is pushed, the power is "ON".
Three cables are required to connect the RRDE-3A to the potentiostat. Electrode rotation can be automatically turned ON or OFF by TTL control. The control line is a cable between the remote terminal on the back of the RRDE-3A and the GND and RDE on the back of the potentiostat (See Fig. 3-1).
In order to control purging remotely, the purge cable should be connected to remote terminal on the back of the RRDE-3A (Fig. 2-3; Fig. 3-1).
Since the cable controls the electrode rotation, the other end of this cable should be connected to the remote port on the back of the potentiostat (See Fig. 3-1).